Design Review Board
Amherst Design Review Board is the permit approval authority for these applications. After submitting the signed, completed application, the applicant will then receive a Planning Department fee receipt form, which should be submitted with payment to the Central Services Counter on the 1st floor of town Hall.
Many Special Permits (SP) are considered by the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA), below. Please be sure you complete the correct Special Permit form for the permit you are seeking (SPP vs. SP). Contact the Planning Department at 413-259-3040 with any questions.
The Amherst Planning Board is the permit approval authority for these applications. All sections of the application forms should be completed, and the forms are to be signed by both the applicant and the property owner. Completed application forms and 6 sets of plans, elevations, and other submittal materials are to be submitted to the Planning Department. The Department will assign a permit number to the application, certify the form, and return the form to the applicant. The applicant must them submit the certified application form with the appropriate fee to the Town Clerk's Office.
- Site Plan Review Application (PDF)
- Site Plan Review for Cluster Subdivision Application (PDF)
- Planning Board Special Permit (SPP) Application (PDF)
- Scenic Road Shade Tree/Stone Wall Removal Application (PDF)
Zoning Board of Appeals
The Amherst Zoning Board of Appeals is the permit-granting authority for these permits. The application forms should be completed and signed by the property owner. Completed application forms and 8 sets of plans, including a site plan, a floor plan, and elevations of the building, a management plan, a certified abutters’ list and the fee are to be submitted to the Planning Department. The Planning Department will obtain the signature of the Building Commissioner, file the application with the town Clerk, submit the fee to the Town Clerk, obtain an application number from the Town Clerk and schedule a public hearing.
- Zoning Board of Appeals Application (Special Permit, Variance, Appeal, Comprehensive Permit) (PDF)
- ZBA Rules and Regulations, Effective Date July 28 2020
- Complaint Response Plan - Form
- Tenant-Lessee Notification Info Sheet
Completed application forms and plans (8 sets for preliminary and definitive subdivisions; 4 paper copies and 1 mylar for Form A subdivisions) are to be submitted to the Planning Department. The Planning Department will assign a permit number to the application, certify the form, complete a fee receipt form, and return the certified application form and completed fee receipt form to the applicant. The applicant must then: 1) submit the certified application form to the town Clerk's office, located on the 1st floor of town Hall, and 2) submit the fee receipt form with payment to the Central Services counter on the 1st floor of town Hall.
- Form A - Approval Not Required (PDF)
- Form B - Preliminary Subdivision (PDF)
- Form C - Definitive Subdivision (PDF)
- Form D - Designer's Certificate (PDF)
- Certificate of Performance (PDF)
Local Historic District