Background Information on Beavers
These publications are all taken from public sources. It has been compiled to help members of the public as well as town bodies to access background information regarding the relationship between beavers and humans. Any deliberation by members of town bodies regarding this information must be done in public session.
- Mass Extension on Beavers – The Natural History, Benefits, and Ways to Resolve Conflicts between People and Beavers. A good guide to beavers with information on where to get help with problem beavers.
- Beaver Solutions – A consulting company specializing in beaver management services.
- State Guide for Addressing Beaver Complaints – Massachusetts step by step guide for addressing beaver complaints.
- Guidance for Boards of Health – Massachusetts public board of health guidelines on beavers.
- Guidance for Conservation Commissions – Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection guidelines on beavers for Conservation Commissions.
- Use of Water Flow Devices – The use of water flow devices in addressing flooding problems caused by beaver in Massachusetts.
- Beaver Background publication by Mass Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals – MSPCA beaver pamphlet.
- Mass Wildlife on Beavers – Full text version of Massachusetts General Law on beavers.
- News stories from Northampton – Public comments on the removal of beavers from the Barret Street Conservation Area in Northampton.
- Examples of management tools and background from Mass Health and Human Services – Mass Health consumer info on beavers.
- Study on Attitudes toward beavers – Study done by Cornell University on public attitudes towards beavers in Massachusetts and New York States.
- Example of a city management plan – Rockville, Maryland city management plan for beavers.