Central Services Transactions

The following transactions are handled at the counter:
Abatements For additional information, visit the Assessor's Office
Abutters Lists An abutters list is used when the departments of Zoning, Planning, Conservation, or liquor licensing of the Town need to notify residents of impending changes of property in the area. For further clarification, contact the appropriate department.
Ambulance Payments Billing and payment collection for ambulance bills is done through the Treasurer/Collector's Office.
Cemetery Plots Cemetery plots at the South Amherst Cemetery are selected at the Department of Public Works. They are sold only in 2-grave lots. Payment for the plot is made at the Central Service Counter. A deed is given to the purchaser upon payment.
Direct Debit By enrolling in this program, the Town will collect your bills directly from your checking or savings account in the amount due on the day due. The enrollment avoids all interest and late fees. Bill types available to enroll and pay by direct debit are Real Estate tax, Water/Sewer bills, and Motor Vehicle Excise Tax. 
Firearms (Gun) Permit Applications for firearms are made at the Police Department. Payment is made at the Central Services Counter. Once payment is made, the receipt is taken to the Police and an appointment is set up for the permit.
Motor Vehicle Excise For additional information, view Motor Vehicle Excise.
Parking Permits Parking permits are available for individuals who live or work in the downtown business district or in a designated Residential Permit Area. Permit parking is in effect from September 1 through May 31st each year. Permits are needed Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. The fee is $25.
Additional Information: Amherst Permit Parking Regulations (PDF)
To Apply & Purchase a Permit: Parking Permit Online Application
Parking Tickets Payments for parking tickets are made at the Treasurer/Collector's Office. All tickets must be paid within 21 days or a $15 late fee is added. If your ticket remains unpaid, your license and/or registration may be marked for non-renewal with the Registry of Motor Vehicles. If you feel you have been unfairly issued a parking ticket, you may appeal with a Parking Ticket Appeal Form. Appeals in person may be made the first Friday of each month at 9:00 am at Town Hall.
Real Estate and Personal Property Tax Bills For more information, view Tax Collection.
Refuse Bills Refuse bills for disposal of trash at the landfill are generated by the Department of Public Works. Bills are due and payable within 30 days. If your bill is unpaid for more than 3 months, you will be shut off at the transfer station. For additional information, contact the Collector's Office.
Violations - Keg, Noise, Tobacco, Dog License, and Animal Welfare Keg and noise violations are issued by the Police. Tobacco violations are issued by the Health Department. Animal welfare violations are issued by the Animal Welfare Officer.
Water / Sewer Bills Water service is based on the actual metered usage and the sewer charge is based on water usage. Each customer can expect to be billed approximately every 3 months. The meters are read and maintained by the Water Division of the Department of Public Works and all billing is done through the Collector. Water and Sewer Rate History