Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
The Amherst Fire Department provides EMS services to:
Patients transported by the Fire Department most frequently go to Cooley Dickinson Hospital in Northampton. However, we may also transport emergency patients to:
- Mary Lane Hospital in Ware
- Wing Memorial Hospital in Palmer
- Holyoke Hospital in Holyoke
- Franklin Medical Center in Greenfield
- Mercy Medical Center in Springfield
- Baystate Medical Center in Springfield
The first level of EMS training is known as First Responder. All firefighters and police officers receive this minimum level of EMS education every three years. A First Responder is trained in basic first aid and CPR.
Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT)
Beyond basic training, an individual can work toward certification as an EMT. There are three levels of EMT certification: Basic, Intermediate, and Paramedic. For additional information about EMT certification, view EMT requirements.